- Start –> Run –> services.msc [enter]
- Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
- Now click on the “Pause” button. Leave that window open.
- Now Open My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem
(where %systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed).
- Delete the Repository folder and *only* the Repository folder.
- Now go back to the Windows Management Instrumentation service window you left open and restart the service.
- This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
- In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
- Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).
- Please select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- After the new window appears select the View tab.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
- Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
- After this please press the Apply button and then the OK
Open a command window (Start — > Run –> cmd) and run the following commands:
- net stop winmgmt
- cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
- ren repository repository.old
(or delete it using the command “rd /s repository” instead of the ren command)
- net start winmgmt