To Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders follow the steps.
- Open My Computer or One Folder.
- Click on the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- After the new window appears select the View tab.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
- Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
- After this please press the Apply button and then the OK
If “Show hidden files and folders” option is not working at all even if we selected the option Show hidden files and folders from the folder option window, the changes would just disappear upon closing the dialog.This is because of some Virus issues. This virus may be corrupted or change some registry values. So here is what we have to do to restore it back.
- Press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard together.
- Now you will get a Run window.
- Inside that Run Window type REGEDIT and press on Ok
- It will open a Registry Editor Windows. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
- Look at the CheckedValue key. This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
- Now open My Computer or Any Folder , Click the toolbar go to Tools > Folder Option and click on the View tab.The Show hidden files & folders check box should now work normally.
NOTE : However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Playing with Registry is very Critical. It is something like a Brain Surgery. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry Follow this Article.
This instructions contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry and back up and restore the Registry. . This article describes how to back up the registry in Windows XP or Windows Vista or Windows 7.