Smart HDD is a new malicious program pretending to be a legitimate one. It will detect numerous false problems and display various critical errors alerts on the computer in order to trick you into thinking your computer has a lot of serious problems. SmartHDD will send you pop ups, “to clean your machine is purchase the software”. Remember that the program is unable to detect and fix any problems, so do not pay for its full version!!! The fake software should be removed as soon as possible!
These spy wares send pop ups to purchase their products. If we enter the credit card details for purchasing these spy wares, they will hack our credit card information.
Smart HDD from the same family of malware as System Restore, HDD Repair, System Restore etc. It is promoted and distributed with the help of trojans or other malicious software. Moreover, cyber criminals may also distribute it on social networks (Twitter, My Space, Facebook, etc) and spam emails. Please be careful when opening attachments and downloading files or otherwise you can end up with a rogue program on your computer.
While Smart HDD is running, it will display various fake warnings and notifications from your Windows taskbar. The text of some of the alerts are:
- System Restore : The system has been restored after a critical error. Data integrity and hard drive integrity verification required.
- Windows – No Disk : Exception Processing Message 0×0000013
- Critical Error : A critical error has occurred while indexing data stored on hard drive. System restart required.
- Windows detected a hard drive problem. : A hard drive error occurred while starting the application
Nothing to worry about, all of these alerts are a fake and supposed to scare you into thinking your computer is in danger. You should ignore all of them!
Removal Instructions for Smart HDD
Step 1. Reboot your computer in Safe mode with networking
To do this, turn your computer off and then back on and immediately when you see anything on the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Eventually you will be brought to a menu similar to the one below:
Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter on your keyboard.
Step 2. Stop Smart HDD from running
To stop or remove Smart HDD you have to delete it’s infected files.
- In Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\[RANDOM]
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\~[RANDOM]
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\[RANDOM].exe
- In Windows Vista and Windows 7
Smart HDD creates the following files and folders
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart HDD\Smart HDD.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart HDD\Uninstall Smart HDD.lnk
This infection will make 2 changes in the computer hard drive.
- Hide all the files and folders an the computer hard drive
- Delete all of the Short Cuts on the computer Start Menu, Desktop, Quick Launch Icons Etc
Step- 3 Un Hide all of the files and folders on the computer hard drive.
This infection will hide all the files in your computer hard drive. It looks like all of them are deleted. But actually all of those files will be on the computer. The thing is it will be all hidden. We have to un hide all of those files manually.
For that follow this steps.
- Please select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- After the new window appears select the View tab.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
- Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
- After this please press the Apply button and then the OK
Press on the key Alt+Crtl+Delete key on the keyboard. Now you will get a new window called Task Manager. Now hold the Ctrl key on the key board and click on File, New Task on the Task Manager. Now you will get a new black window.
Inside that black window type CD/ and hit on enter.
Now type ATTRIB –H –R –S /S /D and hit on enter.
This one will un hide all of the files and folders in the computer.
Steps-4 Add Short Cuts back to Start Menu and Desktop.
- Please press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard together.
- Now you will get a Run window.
- Inside that Run Window type %TEMP% and press on Ok
- It will open the Temp folders in the User Profile. (%UserProfile%\Temp)
- Inside that you can see a folder called smtmp.
- Copy that Folder and Paste it in and safe location.
\smtmp\1 contain all the shortcuts on the start menu.
\smtmp\2 contain all the shortcuts on the Recently Used Programs .
\smtmp\3 contain all the shortcuts on the Quick Launch .
\smtmp\4 contain all the shortcuts on the Desktop .
- Restore all this shortcuts back to respected locations back.
If there is no shortcuts in the smtmp folder you have to restore all of the Icons back manually.
Step-5 Remove Smart HDD Registry Entries
Remove these Smart HDD Registry Entries:
Make sure you Back Up your Windows Registry Before Editing the Registry. You have to take some Extra Care While Deleting the registry. Follow the steps How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
– Delete Temp / Prefetch
– Reset the IE web settings
– Run the disk cleanup
– Disable the System Restore, Reboot the PC
– Enable the System Restore and make sure system is stable with no popup and symptoms of infection.